Cyprus is the ultimate venue for the perfect wedding, with many people opting to marry on ‘The Island of Love’ This is mainly due to the glorious sunshine and stunning locations giving couples the chance to fulfill their dreams at affordable prices.
It is perfectly legal for UK citizens to marry in Cyprus however before you can marry you must meet and produce the following documents:
1) A ten year passport (not due to expire within 6 months)
2) You are NOT required to be a resident in Cyprus for a minimum of three working days before your wedding day, this was an old Cypriot Law that no longer applies, although this is recommended so that you do not feel rushed from arrival and there is enough time to submit the relevant documentation (not including weekends or bank holidays).
3) The bride and groom must both have a Single Statutory Declaration (affidavit) confirming that you are free to get married. The affidavit made must be dated less than 3 months before the wedding date.
This affidavit must be issued from a solicitor, or if issued on a blank paper, must be stamped by the solicitor’s company stamp.
Your affidavit must be drawn up in the name that you are officially known by at the present time as evidenced by your passport and all supporting documents must relate to this.
4) Original Birth Certificate showing your parents’ names
5) Original baptism/christening certificate (for church weddings only)
6) If you have changed your name, proof of name change by deed poll, stamped and signed by a solicitor
7) If you were adopted, your original adoption certificate is required
8) If you have been widowed, the original death certificate of your partner along with your original marriage certificate
9) If you have been divorced, your original decree absolute which must be stamped by the court that issued it
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ALL ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS MUST BE TAKEN WITH YOU WHEN YOU TRAVEL, THE VILLA GROUP CANNOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE SHOULD THE WRONG DOCUMENTATION BE PRESENTED IN CYPRUS FOLLOWING YOUR ARRIVAL
Two witnesses over 18 years of age to the marriage will be required under Cypriot law, you will need to provide photocopies of their passports photo page. In the case of just Bride and Groom attending ceremony please inform us and we will arrange witnesses for you.